Re: How do you guys archive your old email messages?

On 2006-06-25 15:35:46 -0400, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> The way I do it is with a bunch of fcc-save-hooks.
> Occasionally stuff still gets into my default Sent folder,
> but that's usually random emails I don't have a good place
> for anyway.

At some point, I've noticed that I rarely drill down to e-mail
that's more than, say, 6 months old.

So my archival scheme at this point consists of:

- A lot of mail that's sent to mailing lists and archived there.
- A bunch of fcc-save-hooks.
- A much too large inbox (that recently got merged with an
  older version of itself, and hence grew considerably, due to
  a, errr, weakness of my backup process when it comes to
  maildir folders).
- Archive folders to which procmail copies every incoming
  message.  These folders exist both on the mail server that I
  use and on the laptop that I read my mail on. They are
  rotated using logrotate, on a monthly basis.  (An alternative
  is to do this size-based, and keep the last N GB of your
  e-mail.)

These archive folders are really the most important part of the
scheme; they enable me to quickly and easily get back to
messages I deleted from my inbox.

For whatever reason, I only use threading occasionally, e.g.,
when catching up on things; I look at incoming mail on a "most
recently received" basis.
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.