Re: Mailcap question

On 19Jun2006 18:00, Jos? G. Juanino <jjuanino@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > For your needs you would do exactly as you have, with some changes:
| >
| >   audio/mpeg; mpg321 -d esd %s >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null & ;
description="MP3 Audio File"
| >   audio/mpeg; ls -ldh -- %s; copiousoutput description="MP3 Audio File"
| >
| > Notice that we have closed stdin (just in case) and also sent standard error
| > to /dev/null. (BTW, why the "sleep 5"?)
| >
| > Also, you should not need the quotes - "%s" is supposed to be replaced
| > with a shell-safe  filename, so mutt should be putting in quotes
| > if necessary (in practice it does not, because it refuses to create
| > filenames which would need quoting).
| >
| > Now, in spite of all this, I would have expected your mailcap line to
| > work. Can you go into some detail about how it fails?
|
| It does not work for me at least. I have the following entry in my
| .mailcap file:
|
| text/html; dillo %s >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null & ; description "HTLM Files"
|
| and dillo complains about the input file has vanished. I think mutt
| removes the file when no process holds the file open, as it uses the
| unlink system call after the temp file is created.

Um, yes, you are right. I understand the "sleep" now.

| I have the following setting
| set tmpdir=~/.mutt/tmp (i.e, not the /tmp sticky directory)

Seems sensible to me.

If you put the "sleep" back in, do thing work or fail? If they fail,
what errors do you get?

You could make your line:

  text/html; dillo %s >>/tmp/mailcap.out 2>&1 </dev/null & sleep 5; description
"HTLM Files"

and look at the file /tmp/mailcap.out for error messages from dillo,
perhaps.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first.  - Jim Blandy