Re: Making aliases for mail folders

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:21:46PM -0400, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> If I could have something like:
>
> mailbox Work(~/mail/work/inbox) Family(~/mail/personal/family)
> LKML(~/mail/personal/lkml) Mutt-Users(~/mail/personal/mutt-users)
>
> where folder-hooks would work on the part in parenthesis but the
> browser would show the part before the parenthesis, that would be
> ideal.

Since folder-hooks use regexps for their matches, you should be able to
write expressions that match whatever naming system you choose,
including the possibility of an expression which matches either the
symlink name or the real mailbox name (so it still works no matter how
you are looking at the mailbox).  (I would offer an example, but without
testing it, I can't be sure that I'd get the regexp right - ask here if
you need help with writing regexps)

Another trick which, you may not have encountered, is to dynamically
generate the mailbox list with a little bit of shell scripting - there's
a basic example in the mutt wiki here:
   http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Maildir

I assume the same trick can be made to work with mbox files (I don't
know for certain, since I use maildir).  I also use a different form of
the script idea, with some smarter options for which directories to
include and ignore.

Karl.