Do I need fetchmail?

Hi

After the posting about mutt being able to send mail via msmtp, it prompted me
to check out the receive side of email.  If I read it right, mutt can poll a
pop server and bring the post on to the /var/mail/<user's mail spool>.  But I
don't understand how this is done.  From the manual and from the net, something
like this should be used:

set pop_host="pop.ntlworld.com
set pop_user="gena-j"
set pop_pass="xxxxxx"
set pop_delete=no

I guess that you guys know that this is not enough.  But I don't understand the
manual when it states:

"You can access the remote POP3 mailbox by selecting the folder
pop://popserver/."

Or:

"Another way to access your POP3 mail is the fetch-mail function (default: G).
It allows to connect to
   pop_host, fetch all your new mail and place it in the local spoolfile. After
this point, Mutt runs
   exactly as if the mail had always been local."

Well that sounds like what I want to do but how?  Do I need to create a folder
called pop or popserver? What does this mean?  fetch-mail function (default: G)?

Why is fetchmail and exim or some other mta encouraged?  Surely for a home user
using a home network but only one machine for email mutt only needs msmtp?  Am
I missing something?  This is an issue as using a debian box, there's not a
consideration as exim is installed by default.  However, I'm building a lfs
system and I'm not sure what criteria to choose my mail packages.

What are your thoughts?

Gena

--
2E0AXU

Freedom & Power provided by debian GNU Linux