Re: aliasing mailing lists

On 20May2006 00:44, Matt Price <matt.price@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:08:50PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > I go the other way; I have a file like this:
| >     mutt    Mutt-Users      sender:owner-mutt-users@xxxxxxxx
| > and generate the .procmailrc from that. [...]
| > This is the converter:
| >   http://freshmeat.net/projects/cats2procmailrc/
|
| that's cool.  how would you add non-list related options -- e.g. bogofilter
| stanzas?  Can procmail chainload rcfiles?

I don't think procmail has an include facility, but cats2procmailrc
does, see the home page. You can include other 1-line-rule files and
also raw procmailrc files.

I used to include the bogofilter and spamassassin stuff here, but now
I actually do my spam filtering in an entirely separate scheme before
the main procmailrc fires off.

I use getmail to deliver directly to a "spool" folder, and a shell
daemon watches that and spamfilters into "spam" and "spool-in". Another
daemon watches "spool-in" and hands to procmail with the autogenerated
.procmailrc mentioned above.

If you're using bogofilter you might be interested in using a RAM disc
to speed it up (it's very data integrity minded, at a huge speed
penalty); my approach is written up here:

  http://cs070.blogspot.com/2006/03/bogofilter-and-circumventing-fsync.html

| > | 2. Delete entries upon receiving messages that confirm un-subscription
| > |    from mailing lists. [...]
| > Personally I rarely both with step 2.
|
| THis is something I DEFINITELY want.  In fact what I *really* want is
| somethign tht would automte the subscription/unsubscription functions --
| say, mail a set of unsubscribe messages before I go on vacation.  Not
| exactly a mutt task, though I guess.

No, but if you kept a core config file somewhere it might be doable.
I don't know of any tools for this myself.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Old age may seem unappealing, but consider the alternative.