How does mutt choose charset when sending message?

Hi there!

I've got totally confused about how mutt choose charset when sending messages.

My locale and terminal is set to gb2312 charset(it is for chinese character)
But sometime I also need writing messages in Swedish.
I include this line 'set send_charset="iso-8859-1:us-ascii:utf-8"'
in my .muttrc file in order to send a message containing Swedish(iso8859-1)
chars like 'small a with umlaut mark'.

When I compose those messages I save the file in iso8859-1 charset in the
editor(emacs).
However, mutt still choose gb2312 charset for the message to send.
It seems that in this situation mutt completely ignored the "send_charset"
variable?

Why did this happen?

regards

Kai