Re: Charset ? mutt issue?

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:53:35PM +0000, stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:56:01AM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 19 at 11:09 AM, quoth stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > >I have an issue whereby when I recieve an email with an English pound
> > >sign in it £ it is displayed as this --> "\243" [without quotes] or
> > >somtimes it looks like "??".
> > >I am not sure if it is a mutt issue or a a system one but I suspect
> > >mutt.
> > >My system is as follows :-
> > >Gentoo linux
> > >mutt 1.5.11
> > >running under aterm.
> >
> > I suspect your terminal charset and/or font. When you run ?locale?
> > what do you get? When you run this:
> >
> >    perl -e 'printf("%c\n", 0243)'
> >
> > What do you get? What is the value of send_charset in your muttrc?
> >
> > You are sending mail with the charset ?unknown-8bit?, so I?m guessing
> > that you have a locale issue.
> >
> > Try setting LC_CTYPE to something like en_US.UTF-8 (depending on what
> > you can find in the output of ?locale -a?).
> >
> > ~Kyle
> > --
> > There is no more evil thing in this world than race prejudice . . . It
> > justifies and holds together more baseness, cruelty, and abomination
> > than any other sort of error in the world.
> >                                                          -- H. G. Wells
>

> thanks for the reply
> I have got somewhere after some messing about,
> my output from locale was
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
>
> I have added to my .bashrc
> export LANG="en_GB.iso885915"
> export LC_CTYPE="en_GB.iso885915"
>
> this means that I now have this from locale
> LANG=en_GB.iso885915
> LC_CTYPE=en_GB.iso885915
>
> and YES my £ signs are now £ signs :)
>
> I thought I would now set the send_charset in .muttrc, at the moment I
> have nothing there at all.
> I have taken a look at the manual and it recommends multiple entries, so
> I have added the default as given
> set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"
>
> Does this seem reasonable?
>
> stu
me again

It seems I was a little hasty, If I recieve an email from
gmail for instance then the £ signs do indeed diplay correctly.
However if I send an email to myself using mutt then when displayed it
prepends an "A with an umlaut" before the £ symbol which it also displays.

I am basically confused as to what is going on, my best guess is that
mutt is sending mail encoded incorrectly. Note that I do know that it is
my configuratio of mutt that is wrong of course and not mutt itself.

stu