PuTTY (was: home and end keys not working)

 On Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 7:33:45 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:

> I'm not sure how recent my version of puTTY is

    PuTTY 0.56 was released in October 2004. I would recommend to
upgrade at least to 0.57: The same nearly, but with an SFTP security
hole removed. Current version is 0.58 with loads of new features (256
colors, complete 32 bits Unicode, bidir layout, and such), but... more
memory consumption, and some rare characters rendering problems.

    BTW I sent you an enhanced terminfo entry exploiting better the
16 colors of PuTTY 0.56, as a sort of beta test.

> I don't have any trouble using the <home> and <end> keys in other
> applications like slrn etc.

    Probably a positive effect of hardcoded escape sequences in S-Lang.
Those have also drawbacks. Mutt has nothing hardcoded, and entirely
relies on terminfo. Which is the good way: That's how the pile terminal,
terminfo, and application is intended to work.

    Now of course hardcoded fallback keys may be vital in something like
a shell, so one can connect to a host to correct a terminfo breakage.

> echo $TERM returns xterm.

    Not fine: PuTTY is not totally compatible with xterm, at least not
when examined closely. Your <Home>/<End> key problem is here. Solution:
New session --> Connection --> Terminal-type string, and enter "putty".
Do the same for each saved session. Make sure to have a good putty entry
in the terminfo database of all hosts you connect to.

    The deal with the default TERM is just that: TERM=xterm is not
perfectly suited for PuTTY, but exists virtually everywhere and "works".
While TERM=putty is /perfect/ by definition, but the entry may lack on
some old hosts.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and sufficient
charset (version for Western Latin-1/Latin-9/CP-850/CP-1252 terminal users):