Re: freebsd, mutt, unicode

 On Sunday, January 29, 2006 at 0:56:42 +0000, mal content wrote:

> $ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ...both the Latin1 e acute and the attached
> character are shown as '?' and '??' respectively. On a Latin-1
> terminal (xterm, in this case) the same thing occurs.

    Mysterious: Russian chars are octalized as unprintables, while latin
ones are ?-masked as unconvertables...

> the command :set charset in mutt always gives 'us-ascii'

    This might explain the ?-masking. But wait: You said previously that
"locale charmap" was correctly shouting UTF-8, on a system which
+HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET, and still $charset doesn't automagically get
UTF-8 by default? Hum... I assume ":set &charset ?charset" also gives
"us-ascii", right? So for now, put that in muttrc:

| set charset="`locale charmap`"        # workaround for CODESET problem

    But I guess we're back to octalization? Let's check better one of
those 8 bits locale: What gives the little tester in sig, with xterm and
LANG=en_GB.ISO8859-1

> System: FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE (i386) [using ncurses 5.2] [using libiconv 1.9]

    Anyone else on FreeBSD 6.0 has success or failure?

Bye!    Alain.
--
Everything about locales on Sven Mascheck's excellent site at new
location <URL:http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/locale/>. The little tester