Re: Sending mail in ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8

Hi Marc,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 06:37:32AM -0500, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I've just upgraded one of my machines to a UTF-8 setup/input
> and I'm running mutt 1.5.6+20040907i
>
> I'm using mlterm in UTF-8, so when I send � (e'), mlterm uses
> UTF-8 and inputs é (� �) in vim.

FWIW, When I read your mail, I see "I send \351 (e')..." and then
"inputs é (\303 \251)..."

In other words, after "inputs" I see a proper 'e' with acute accent.
However, your mail seems to have been sent with a character set of
us-ascii...  That seems strange to me.

[snip]
> So, either
> 1) mutt should have detected that I typed UTF-8 and send it as is
> or (better)
> 2) mutt should convert e' double byte é into single byte � and
>    then the sending charset of iso-8859-1 would be correct.

This (that is, #2) is the normal and expected behavior, and if this is
not what you are seeing then it seems probable that either there is
something wrong with your locale configuration, or the exact version
of mutt (or maybe iconv) you are using is buggy.

I use mutt with a UTF-8 configuration and Korean language, and mutt
always converts from UTF-8 to EUC-KR unless I use characters which are
not present in EUC-KR.

There's normally nothing to do other than what you have already done;
it should "just work" with the configuration you have.  You might try
posting the output of the locale command on your system...  If your
locale is right you may well be seeing a bug.

Oh, also, did you include NLS support when you compiled mutt?  The
output of mutt -v may also be useful...  It may be that you do not
have NLS enabled, which may be the reason your mail came across with a
character set of us-ascii.  In such a case, I believe mutt will not do
any translation of characters, but just leave the input untranslated
with the default charset.  I'm guessing it displays properly on my
terminal purely by the coincidence that I'm using a UTF-8 locale.  In
fact the more I think about it, it seems likely to me that this is the
cause.  But I suppose a locale mismatch could possibly have a similar
effect...

BTW, need any help over there at Google?  ;-)

> Oh, as for the value of $charset in mutt, I feel silly, but I have
> no idea how to display variables inside of mutt at the : prompt.
> How does one do that?

There is (or was) no way to show the settings of all variables
simultaneously, though this was mentioned in the not-too-distant past
and someone may have put together support for it in a recent patch.
If it's not in yet, I think this is a very desireable feature.  As for
showing the individual values, you show them exactly the same way you
set them, except prepend a '?' before the variable name, like so:

        set ?foo

HTH.

-=-=-=-=-