Re: character encoding

Hello Christoph,

 On Tuesday, September 13, 2005 at 5:12:34 PM +0200,
 Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> For one I'm writing short mails using the unix /bin/mail program and
> since the german umlauts and sz are displayed in my term (xterm)
> ae,oe,ue,Ae,Oe,Ue, sz by the codes 228,246,252,196,214,220,223
> respectively

    Don't use /bin/mail to send umlauts: It is broken. Also don't use
/bin/mail to send replies: It is broken. /bin/mail breaks MIME and
references. You can still use /bin/mail to send US-Ascii new mails. ;-)

> Recipients of my mail text may then be unable to read my Umlauts etc.

    Exactly.

> Now my question: How can this be solved it mutt?

    Set correctly your system locale, probably exporting LANG=de_DE,
type your umlauts in $editor, and Mutt should do the right thing
automagically. Feel free to validate your settings by replying here,
quoting and inserting your own äëïöü.

Bye!    Alain.
--
You know what I would like to do? COMPLY. I would LOVE to COMPLY. But, you know
what, Pat? I don't know where the h_ll that frickin 2-dash stupid stinkin line