Re: install problems with curses

On 2005-08-01, Laran Evans <lc278@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is the last bit of my install before it fails.

> In file included from alias.c:21:
> mutt_curses.h:45:20: curses.h: No such file or directory
> alias.c: In function `mutt_create_alias':
> alias.c:262: warning: implicit declaration of function `beep'
> make[1]: *** [alias.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/laran/mutt-1.4.2.1'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> -bash-2.05b$
>
> ---
> Can anyone suggest a way to get past that? Do I need to have some
> (n)curses packages installed? Is there a way to turn off that option in
> the install?

I had a similar problem building mutt-1.5.9 on SunOS 5.8 using a
private installation of ncurses.  I don't know if this will help,
and I don't claim it is any sort of proper solution, but it worked
for me.

This is how I configured, built and installed ncurses.

    ./configure --prefix=/home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/ncurses-5.4 --enable-overwrite
    make
    make install.includes
    make install.libs

I made a note in the $PREFIX directory that says I had to use the
--enable-overwrite flag in order to put the include files in
$PREFIX/include/ instead of in $PREFIX/include/ncurses/ so that mutt
could find them.

This is how I configured, built and installed mutt.

    ./configure --prefix=/home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/mutt-1.5.9i
--with-curses=/home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/ncurses-5.4
    make
    make install

I actually set a few other flags and included some patches, but
nothing connected with ncurses.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division