Re: gmail over pop3

Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Any ideas how to circumvent the UIDL error or another muttrc
> > configuration that is *known* to work with gmail?
>
> I do not know why you get this error.

Solution/Answer:
I get the error because I had compiled mutt with SSL, but NOT with SASL2.

# mutt -v
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_SASL  -USE_SASL2

Once I recompiled mutt with SASL2, it works like a charm (using any one of
several of the configurations suggested, above)!

Thank you all so much for your help. It really did help me find my mistake.

Extra info.

For troubleshooting, I did try

# telnet pop.gmail.com 995

as some had suggested I do, and this results in what appears to be a
connection,
but the server doesn't respond with any information, the way it might if you
did
something like

# telnet pop.mail.yahoo.com 110

Also, for newbies like me, it *is* worth mentioning one checks his or her gmail
settings to be sure POP is actually enabled, as Patrick did. I had that problem
for *several* hours before I realized the fix and encountered the next problem
(UIDL/SASL problem).

BTW, I have gmail configured to trash messages after checking, though I doubt
this matters (not tested, just reporting for future reference).

Also for newbies, I know this is not necessarily appropriate to this forum, but
here's the config line I used on FreeBSD 5.2.1-Release (I had trouble getting
the library path set correctly).

./configure --enable-pop --enable-imap --with-ssl --with-sasl2=/usr/local

Thanks again.
Kurt