Re: mutt 1.5.9i: header_cache: Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't...

Hello Patrick,

> set header_cache="~/.tmp/mutt-header-cache"

Don't forget to

        set maildir_header_cache_verify=no

as well. The default of this option is very conservative. And more or
less only there because one Debian user was stupid[0] enough to violate
the maildir 'protocol' by running sed on his maildir files to strip
headers.

> This all went very well and at the time I enabled this parameter accessing my
> folders sped up a lot. But then one day it was back to slow again and I
> noticed the mutt-header-cache db had been gone without me doing anything.

Please note that header caching is currently only supported for maildir
and imap style folders. - But I think you know that already.

> Just until yesterday no header cache db would be created. I tried to point
> $header_cache to a dir and to a file, but that wouldn't change anything
> either.

If header_cache points to a directory. This directory has to be created
before starting mutt. Otherwise it will silentely fail to use header
cache. It's time to write a patch to warn the user in such a case.

If header_cache points to a file, the directory in which this file will
resist has to be there, too. There is also no warning if it fails.

> Today I noticed that there were two header chache files both dating
> from yesterday. I've been receiving, reading and sending mail all day
> long today, so if mutt would use the db I guess the date of the dbs
> should have todays date.

This should be the case.

(faui03) [/tmp/sithglan-hcache] ls -lart | tail
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru  3680293 Apr 18 16:51
76c37b683752469fce2207184cb85249
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru   102095 Apr 18 20:24
04ff968b416c48b00ab663e82600c3ac
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru  6751114 Apr 18 20:24
0909ee7e8dcd1251aa558bb4a503c62e
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru   814204 Apr 18 20:33
63cc6f51b93c5cb3e589755fb9a83056
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru  4130965 Apr 18 20:40
0d28aec905aa05f98383360dd269d200
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru  8488592 Apr 18 22:02
c85bbc6377abf1c6aea7c4d8031e0297
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru   633295 Apr 18 22:14
a2fc73ba0ea769b4326f23d2925dbbb1
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru 22021450 Apr 18 22:54
b2932362d26987e33bd5b9ec9653758b
-rw-------    1 sithglan icipguru  3868220 Apr 18 22:54
3d8953a1fd270ecf57bffc785310ec74
drwxrwxrwt   20 root     sys          2555 Apr 18 22:56 ../

Also note. That there must be one file for every maildir you opened in
mutt. No matter if it contains messages or not.

> Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas?

Mutt 1.5.9 has support for IMAP header caching in, but misses the
support for MAILDIR header caching. From the mutt -v output you
supplied, I guess you didn't apply the patch before compiling mutt.
So you have a mutt without maildir header caching but with header
caching infrastructure. You can verify my quick guess by putting in the
"set maildir_header_cache_verify=no" option and mutt should bark at you
because it does only know this option if it supports maildir header
caching.

If my assumtion is correct there are the following ways to build a mutt
which includes maildir header cache:

        - Wait till TLR finds the time to release mutt-1.5.10
        - USE CVS HEAD (maildir header cache is available in CVS HEAD)
        - Or just download the patch[1], apply it and recompile.

For general informations and tips about the header cache please
consult[2].

Sincerely,
        Thomas

[1]