alias_file on IMAP server?

Hello Mutt users,

I've only just subscribed after searching the archives for an
answer, but I can't seem to find anything. If this has been discussed
before, a pointer to old threads in the mail archive is very welcome.

- Is it possible to store Mutt's addressbook (alias_file) on a remote
  IMAP server? Google tells me that Pine can apparently do this, but sofar I
  haven't found out how to do it in Mutt. If this is not possible, how
  do people synchronize their aliases in 3 different places? I'd like to
  prevent having to ssh to a remote machine to mail from there, as that
  was my reason to set up IMAP in the first place.

I have one other question regarding Mutt and Courier IMAP which may be
better suited for the courier or debian mailing lists:

- What is the suggested authentication method for imap-ssl (courier) and
  mutt? I do not like storing my password in my muttrc at work as I am
  not the only person who knows the root password. I have read some
  documentation on Courier but don't quite understand the different
  options. Which authentication protocols do not require typing a
  password? Can I use ssh keys or something similar?

Any advice appreciated.

        Hein Zelle