Re: why isn't mutt threaded (logically)

I went through this whole painful investigation recently,

I wanted to run mutt32 under windows with imap sync.  I checked out
offlineimap which seemed to be exactly the right tool and spent some time
configuring everything.  It wasn't a straightforward experience.  I love
python and have a lot of experience, but it was very unclear how to configure
the filter rules and I ended up having it attempt to mirror my whole home
directory and then crash midway every time.  The crash ended up being due to a
piece of XML in a file somewhere, ironically a part of the opengroupware which
was my last abortive attempt to get multiplatform remote e-mail reading going.
I also have problems because I was running over ssl - it does that but there
were other strange problems.  Unless you hardcoded the password into the
contig file, I couldn't get it to prompt me for the password and it certainly
didn't connect to the right port by default.  Until I figured out how to
switch on debugging, the only feedback was a black window that would open up
each time.  The final straw was that if there were two directories anywhere in
the hierarchy with the same name (and because of the unix -> windows
transition, different capitalisations could map onto the same folder), it
would exit without diagnostics.  It was going to be very difficult to
configure and I had a very large number of folders, so this was the point in
time at which I started using thunderbird with some remote ssh/mutt for
specific applications (like reading the source code of viruses ;).  I'm very
loyal to mutt but I think it's just getting too hard to make all of these
different tools work nicely together.  I would be more inclined that this
stage to contribute the time I was spending on fighting my mail tool
population to the thunderbird development effort to bring it up to mutt
quality ;(

Darren.