Re: Large mailbox not recognized

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:22:18PM +0100, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> Thanks for the offer. I think it would be best to archive the mail
> and not bother with deviating from the standard distribution. As a
> Debian user I like apt-get and friends.

File a bug-report at bugs.debian.org, package mutt. Here's the
current list of bugs -- yours is not reported:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=mutt&archive=no

> What is the best way to split the mbox into a few smaller files so
> we can remove some large messages? I am sure that 1% of the messages
> take up 98% of the size.

> Would maildir be better suited for this kind of use?

Try http://www.qmail.org/mbox2maildir -- convert it to a
maildir, then use mutt to sort by size. If you're right about a
few messages being the bulkiest, save them to separate files (or
zap the attachments which are most likely the problem).

-dsr-