White space colorization

Hi all. I recently built mutt out of cvs (which solved my imap
reconnection problems -- hurray). This resulted in an upgrade from 1.4 to
1.5. Now on 1.5, I notice that trailing whitespace is black, although my
normal color scheme is black on white:

 color hdrdefault blue white
 color normal black white
 color tilde black white
 color markers black white
 color indicator white black
 color error white black
 color status white blue

If I use "default" instead of white, things work as expected, and trailing
whitespace is no longer a different color from the rest of the body text:

 color hdrdefault blue default
 color normal black default
 color tilde black default
 color markers black default

However, I have other problems with using "default" instead of "white" and
prefer "white."

I have googled and looked in the manual and code base to see what color
setting I am missing, and am unable to find it. As I said, it appears to
be a 1.4 -> 1.5 change. I am hoping that someone here can help me out.

(Screenshots on request if people don't know what I'm talking about.)

Thanks in advance,
Jessica