Re: New user setup questions

* George <d1945@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [23-07-2004 11:11]:

> Ran mutt, exited mutt, fixed the terminal issues, ran mutt again and
> selected 'G' to fetch my mail.  Mutt starts downloading, creates a new
> 3MB 'inbox' file but tells me I have zero messages.  So I repeat the
> process hoping for a different outcome, but everything's the same,
> except now I have a 6MB 'inbox' file that mutt still isn't reading.

I don't use mutt's POP support, so I don't recognize this behavior.

> As an alternative, I try 'c' and 'pop://pop.myisp.net' directly and
> voila, mutt downloads (?) my headers and life seems good.  I can copy
> messages using 'C' to an alternate temp mbox and read those messages
> without a problem, but if I try changing back to my inbox, mutt
> reports zero messages again.

But the messages are in the inbox file / folder?  Or is it empty when
viewed with an other viewer too?  See $move.

> I'm missing something really obvious here, but for the moment it's not
> obvious enough.  What I'd like to know, apart from why mutt isn't
> reading my inbox, is:
>
> 1.  If I pop my email account directly, am I supposed to be manually
>    saving or moving those messages?

You're not supposed to do anything :)  What is it that you want?

> 2.  Should I ignore all this and just go ahead and set up fetchmail,
>    procmail, etc. and stop asking questions?  (I'm using Cygwin, so
>    have some pity.)

Don't know about Cygwin, but in "normal" Linux, this may bring you more
benefits than using Mutt's internal POP support..

> 3.  What took me so long to try mutt?

I have no idea.

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@xxxxxxxx) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7

Like a blind man in an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
-Frank Drebin, "Naked Gun 33 1/3:  The Final Insult"