Very odd problem with 'set editor'

I run mutt on a networked Solaris machine, normally everything works
fine but just at present one of our servers is down and when mutt
invokes my editor it hangs with an 'NFS server not responding' error.

However the odd thing is that I can call the editor from the command
line with no problems, it's built on my local machine so doesn't use
any remote libraries or anything.  I can even call the editor without
prolems from within mutt using the '!' shell escape.

So what is mutt doing when it calls my editor to reply to mail (or to
create a new mail, same error) that *isn't* happening when I call the
editor in the normal way?

(Oh, and the hang is definitely within the editor load sequence, if I
hit CTRL/C when I see the 'NFS server not responding' error loading
continues successfully and I can edit/sesnd mail.)

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)