Selecting entire message text at once?

This may seem like a ridiculously simple question, but I have searched
mutt's F1 help and can't find an answer.

I want to be able to select the entire text of a message in mutt, even
though it's long and scrolls off the page.  For my editor I'm using joe from
within Eterm--but as I understand it, when I'm reading a message, I'm doing
so in mutt's own pager, and it's from this view that I need to select a
block of text.  I can select all the text that's on the page, but I can't
find an easy way to select all the text in a long message--including text
that's not visible, below the displayed page--so I can copy to another
message from the clipboard.  There must be an easy way to do this, but I
can't find it.

Also, if anybody has any ideas why some punctuation marks--apostrophes,
quotation marks, etc.--are showing up as control sequences beginning with a
forward slash--I would appreciate it.

Seth Williamson
Daleville, VA