Re: font size

* On 2004.05.12, in <20040512224632.GB27802@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Jay Daniels" <drs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Probably not possible, but without changing the xterm font size, can
> you decrease the browser font size without changing the viewer font
> size?

Not really. It's the nature of command-line programs in general not to
know about their display, besides knowing how many character cells are
available to plug characters into. Rendering is handled by the terminal
or terminal emulator.

However, DEC's VT is pretty spiffy, and xterm does a lot of emulation.
You can, for example, issue an escape sequence that switches your mutt
window to 132-column mode, then back. (This must be explicitly allowed
by your xterm configuration, either via resources or by the MMB menu.)

80->132         ESC[?3h
132->80         ESC[?3l

(See http://www.xfree86.org/current/ctlseqs.html for more such tips.)
This doesn't help you font-wise, though. It just makes mutt wider.

> This is the only thing I hate about mutt.  You can never see the full
> "From" field or Subject.  I asked this before, but it seems it never
> made it to the list.  Can you make the subject field in the browser
> wrap?

No. But some macros might help, with some adjustments to your taste. I
have a key that toggles between my normal index_format (which shows lots
of short detail) and an alternate (which shows a wide subject field).
You could combine this with the xterm sequences above to somewhat
psychedelic effect.

These macros are each on one line. Be sure to fix any cut and paste
damage if you use them.

## Alternate views. This sets 'S' to toggle subject expansion, and 'F'
## to toggle sender expansion. You can add more views fairly easily.
##
## =v- is a reset, with normal index_format and 'S' and 'F' set to toggle to
## alternates.
macro index =v- '<enter-command>set index_format="%5C %Z %[%y%m%d] %-18.18F
[%4c] %?y?[%y] ?%s"<enter><enter-command>macro index S
=vs<enter><enter-command>macro index F =vf<enter>'

## =vs is the alternate view for subject
macro index =vs '<enter-command>set index_format="%5C %Z %?y?[%-4.4y] &
?%s"<enter><enter-command>macro index S =v-<enter>'

## =vf is the alternate view for sender (from)
macro index =vf '<enter-command>set index_format="%5C %Z %-48.48F
%s"<enter><enter-command>macro index F =v-<enter>'

## initial states for 'S' and 'F'
macro index S =vs
macro index F =vf

If you want to resize your xterm, insert some episodes of
'<shell-escape>echo "[?3h"<enter>', etc. into those macros.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                  NSIT::ENSS
        No money,  no book.  No book,  no study.  No study, no pass.