Re: More mutt motions

Hi,

* Mutter <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [26-04-2004 09:42]:

[...]

>    How to flag and unflag all messages?

<tag-pattern>.<enter><tag-prefix><set-flag>!
T.\n;w!

>    How to tag and untag all messages?

<tag-pattern>.<enter>
T.\n

>    With just a single key press.

Create macro's.  Make sure you us a mutt >= 1.5.5;  from then on,
Nicolas' tag_prefix_cond patch was included.  For more details, see his
web page at:

  http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas/mutt.html

>    In mailbox mode (when switching folders using c, then ?), can I have
>    the dir view like in pine, instead of the vertical folder listing? In
>    other words how do I get the folder Index view like that in pine, in
>    rows and columns instead of just a vertical lising.

Not possible.

>    "postpone message composition indefinetly for later recall"
>
>    This is a feature in mutt not available in pine. But is there any way
>    to postpone multiple messages and when we compose a message, we get
>    a list to choose from which postponed message we want to edit?

Yes, <recall-message>, bound to 'R' by default.

>    Better yet, is there a way to set mutt to not ask us for postponed
>    messages and instead, if we want, and press a key, only then we get
>    the postponed messages dialog? In other words, what to put in
>    .muttrc to do this? :)

Unset $recall.

>    How to make mutt use a local Inbox instead of me pressing c to change
>    folder everytime (I have lots of mailboxes under ~/mail)? Currently, it
>    opens the last mailbox I opened but I would like it to always open
>    /var/mail/deboo instead.

When started, mutt will open $spoolfile.  If unset, mutt will open $MAIL
(environment variable).

>    How to colorize my own posts with a differnt color? What about
>    replies? Can they be also colored differently? I mean, all replies
>    to me, using any list address, have the same color. I hope that
>    makes sense.

Yes, it does make sense.

color index brightgreen  black ~P
color index brightblue   black "~h 'In-Reply-To: .*clerc\.nl'"
color index brightblue   black "~x '.*clerc\.nl'"

The first directive requires that $alternates is properly set.

>    How to make the mailing-lists posts that are replies to my own posts,
>    go to a separate mailbox automatically? Can message-ID help in this? If
>    not possible easily, I would like to mark all messages containing a
>    particular subject and move them to a folder, would that be easier? How
>    to accomplish any of these with mutt? Or is it the job of procmail?

To do this beforehand, use procmail.

To do it within mutt, use <tag-pattern> in combination with the patterns
given above.

>    Is there a way to use mutt from the commandline? Something like
>    mutt -s testing << echo " message ...."  or something like that to
>    quickly send off an email to someone?

Yes, mutt has an excellent mailx compatibility mode.  I use the
following in scripts all the time:

/usr/local/bin/mutt -n -e "my_hdr From: noreply <devnull@xxxxxxxx>" \
  -s "Subject" -a attachment1 -a attachment2 \
      $EMAIL_RECIPS < /tmp/msgbody

>   Okay I think thats enough and I should stop having anymore mutt motions
>   or I may die ;)

Note that all the answers can be found in the manual.  Take your time to
read it.

> P.S.: I'm not able to use mutt right now for posting this due to problems
> with the MTA so don't flame me anyone.

You luser.

:)

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@xxxxxxxx) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered.
-George Best