compose problem: empty message is created

Hello all!

I'm having a strange problem.

Here's the brief summary:  using mutt 1.5.4i, when I try to reply
to a message (or compose a message), my editor (I've tried vim and
pico) comes up with a blank message.  In the case of a reply, the
message I'm replying to is not there.  In the case of compose, my
signature is not there.

Longer summary:

I'm a longtime mutt user, and run mutt successfully on my laptop and
my desktop.  There is a remote machine that I want to run mutt on.

mutt 0.95.4us is installed on that machine and works just fine --
I can read message, I can reply to messages, etc.

When I build mutt 1.5.4i (which is the version I use at home) with the
compressed mailbox patch on that particular machine, replies and
composes come up as blank messages.

I have tried this with a null muttrc, and with a different editor.

As I said, it works fine with 0.95.4us with an identical configuration.

I'm running out of ideas for debugging.  Here are some relavant
points, though:

o My mail folders are on an NFS mounted home directory
o The older version of mutt uses ncurses 1.9.9g, the newer
   version uses ncurses 4.0
o The configurations of the two mutts (via 'mutt -v') look
   very similar.
o The tmpdir for the messages exists, and is writable, and
   the editor appears to find the correct filename.
o I've also tried different tmpdirs, with the same result.

I'm happy to do some legwork, including version hopping, but am
looking for a direction to go in.  I can supply more information,
too.