Re: Setting up mutt with procmail

I doubt that 'fetchmail -k' is what you are looking for. From what I
understand you want to get the mail via IMAP, sort it locally with
fetchmail, make changes locally (deletes) and then propagate these
changes back to the IMAP server. 'fetchmail -k' will leave the mails on
the IMAP server, but it won't try to synchronize local actions with the
server in any way.

You might want to take a look at something like offlineimap[1]. If you
don't have the possibility of sorting the mails on the server (e.g. via
fetchmail) you might need to do some more complicated configuration to
get the behaviour you want. I had limited luck with this myself due to
problems with the IMAP server (IMAP synchronizers put tougher
requirements of correctness on the server than plain fetchers).

Another option, if you e.g. have ssh access to the server, might be to
use a regular synchronizing program like unison[2]. This is what I am
using since a few weeks to have my mailboxes replicated (at home and at
work), and to propagate changes made in any location.

/M

1. http://gopher.quux.org:70/devel/offlineimap
2. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:24:12PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
>On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 21:44, Draco Paladin wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:32:32PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
>> > On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 20:11, Draco Paladin wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks.  Does fetchmail leave the mail on the IMAP server until deleted
>> > by mutt?
>>
>> Yes, look at the -k or --keep flag for fetchmail
>>

>> > And could the sendmail step be omitted such that it goes from fetchmail
>> > to procmail?
>>
>> Yes, look at the -m or --mda flag for fetchmail
>
>Thanks, will do.
>
>--
>Cheers,
>Trey
>---
>
>"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils;
>they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
>-- GK Chesterton
>
>22:23:56 up 1 day, 23:52, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.14
>Linux salamander 2.6.4 #1 SMP Wed Mar 10 23:59:57 PST 2004 i686 unknown
>unknown GNU/Linux

magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://magnus.therning.org/

Linux means never having to delete your love mail.
     -- Don Marti