Maildir in stable vs unstable

I switched from mutt 1.5 to 1.3 recently as
part of recovery from an equipment failure.  I actually had everything
backed up this time - Maildirs, configs, etc.  This AM I found an
odd behavioral difference between the two mutt versions.

It appears that 1.5 tolerates a missing Maildir /tmp dir and 1.3 does not.

Supporting info:
------------------------------

I am a mutt and Maildir noob. I set some Maildirs up by hand in the
beginning.  On a couple of Maildirs, I did not create the /tmp dir. This
problem was not noticeable in mutt 1.5.  In mutt 1.3 I noticed that
I could not Fcc to the Maildirs missing the /tmp dir.  Adding the /tmp
dir fixed the problem.

I cannot test 1.5 because it's not loaded right now (the
host just returned from warranty repairs.)

As I look at the mutt -v output I can't tell if I'm using 1.3 or 1.5.
I am using mutt from debian stable from an update/upgrade performed
this week. My previous version of mutt came from Knoppix installed to
HDD and then update/upgraded from various mirrors.

output from mutt -v below:

Mutt 1.3.28i (2002-03-13)
Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.2.22xyg-deb2 (i686) [using ncurses 5.2]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  +USE_GNUTLS  +USE_SASL
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+HAVE_PGP  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +COMPRESSED  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
 +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_GETSID  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

patch-1.5.tlr.mx_open_append.2
patch-1.3.28.cvs.indexsegfault
patch-1.3.27.bse.xtitles.1
patch-1.3.26.appoct.3
patch-1.3.15.sw.pgp-outlook.1
patch-1.3.27.admcd.gnutls.19
Md.use_editor
Md.paths_mutt.man
Md.muttbug_no_list
Md.use_etc_mailname
Md.muttbug_warning
Md.gpg_status_fd
patch-1.3.24.rr.compressed.1
patch-1.3.25.cd.edit_threads.9.1
patch-1.3.23.1.ametzler.pgp_good_sign
--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com