Re: color problem (1/2)

i tried this after compiling mutt with both ncurses and slang. both ways i
get the same behaviour... something in mutt must be saying "make this text
a bright color *and* a bold weight".

in pine, these are the 16 colors i can pick from:
        http://atom.smasher.org/tmp/pine-16-color.png
which is the same colors i can make my display show:
        http://atom.smasher.org/tmp/color2.png

in mutt, i can only seem to get half of those colors :(
unless i also use *BOLD* fonts, which is hard to read on my system.

i really need a way to use all 16 colors and not have half of them
automatically make the text BOLD.

can this be done?

> (previously posted to comp.mail.mutt)
>
> i'm a power user in pine and considering converting to mutt.
>
> in pine i can force the display to use 16 colors and i have a lot of
> things using those colors.
>
> in mutt, i seem to have 16 colors but not the way i want them... i seem to
> have 8 "normal" colors and another 8 "bright" colors.
>
> example line from my ~/.muttrc is this: colorindicatorbrightyellowyellow
>
> which produces this:
>       http://atom.smasher.org/tmp/mutt-color.png
>
> "brightyellow" is not only bold, but it's a different color than "yellow",
> despite what the DOCs say:
>       foreground can optionally be prefixed with the keyword bright to
>       make the foreground color boldfaced (e.g., brightred).
>
> anyway... how can i get the "brightyellow" color (and other bright colors)
> without the bold? the same thing happens with all of the colors... bright*
> makes it bold AND changes the color. i want to get the brighter colors
> (which i find easier to read) but not bold (which i find makes it harder
> to read).
>
> this shot:
>       http://atom.smasher.org/tmp/color.png
> shows the colors that i should have.
>
> i've tried setting TERM to different values and setting/unsetting
> COLORTERM and i keep getting the same results.
>
> i've also tried colorX but any "X" > 7 causes a notice on startup that the
> color is not supported.
>
> this is Mutt 1.4.2.1i

        ...atom

 PGP key - http://smasher.suspicious.org/pgp.txt
 3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

        "Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift, and the
         refusal to provide such opportunities is criminal"
                -- Market Democracy in a Neoliberal Order:
                        Doctrines and Reality, Noam Chomsky