Re: Using rsync with Mail-tree

Once upon a time, Ton Boelens said:
> What I am thinking about to do is: use rsync to copy all the changes to
> ~/Mail on the desktop pc to the ~/Mail directory on the laptop. Then use
> the laptop to read and write mail while I am away. Afterwards, when I
> return home from the trip, use rsync again to copy the changed mails
> (status of the mails has changed) back to the desktop pc. The mails that
> I have written will be send-off from the laptop directly.

I have a similar setup, using fetchmail instead of getmail, and use
unison[1] to keep elements of my home directory in sync.

When I wish to switch to (or from) my laptop, I stop fetchmail and run
unison - it then checks the trees on both boxes, and copys what is
necessary between them, I can then start fetchmail on the other
computer.

I find it rather better than rsync, as it works in both directions, and
offers some conflict resloution.

HTH,

Joe

[1]     http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
--
Procrastination means never having to say you're sorry.