Re: maildir structure and change dir

Mike --

...and then M. Mueller said...
%
% Noob here.  3 days.  Started email with M$ 10y. Then KMail 2y. Now Mutt 3d.
If I

Good for you!  You're definitely on the right path :-)

% need to adjust my thinking, just slap me.

Well, I don't know about slap, and I don't know about 'need', but
personally I think perhaps you should.

A Maildir is designed to have exactly three subdirectories: cur, new,
tmp.  No more, no less.  There are also a couple of files that might be
in there, but that's it.  Some IMAP server folks came out with the idea
of this "extended Maildir" or "Maildir++" or whatever but that doesn't
make it right.  Is it a big deal?  I don't know for sure; mutt tries to
be liberal about what it accepts and seems to be able to handle it.  But,
then, you have this little xyg problem...

Assuming your Maildir/ isn't really trying to be a Maildir/ because you
have your mbox, it looks like all you need to do is make a Maildir
xyg/spool/ or xyg/xyg/ or whatever for your xyg mail.  [Of course, if
Maildir/ *is* trying to be a maildir, then make Maildir/spool/ as well.]

This has come up a few times in the past; check the list archives.  As I
say above, I don't know if you 'need' to, but not only is it the right
thing to do but it might also solve your problem :-)

Don't worry about the long explanation; detail is good!  And welcome to
mutt :-)

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * society and not sufficient moral courage.