Re: link-threads: No Message-ID ???

* Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge@xxxxxx> [2004:01:21:03:32:32+0100] scribed:
> * On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 Michael D Schleif (mds@xxxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > I have two (2) simple messages:
> >
> >    From: Support <helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >    Subject: TEST #1
> >
> >    From: Support <helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >    Subject: TEST #2
> >

> > Now, suppose that I want to link TEST #2 to TEST #1.  I receive this
> > error, and the link fails:
> > No Message-ID: header available to link thread
> >
> > Clearly, each message contains a Message-ID header
>
> Why yes but a broken one. See http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html

OK.  See:

   <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt?number=0822>
   <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt?number=2822>

I do not know what is `822bis'; nor do I take issue with DJB's point;
but, the fact remains that the following string is decidedly _absent_
from my cited RFC's:

   ``SHOULD be the domain name of the host on which it was created''

If my version of mutt, installed from a Debian package, uses some
non-standard `patch' to facilitate <link-threads>, I apologize.

Nevertheless, I still do not understand the intent behind this odd
behaviour.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,