Re: editing auto-viewed attachments

On 2004-01-15, Matt Price <matt.price@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I use gary's mutt_bgrun to autoview msword docs in the console.
> Just recently I've started a parcitce of letting students email me
> short papers every week.  Rather than printing them out &c, I would
> like to add comments to these texts from within emacs (my mutt editor)
> and reply to the message.  (maybe not simultaneously).
>
> Since a text version of these documents already exists somewhere, it
> should be possible to edit that text version directly.  Yes no?
>
> Here's an idea of what should happen:
>
> open message, see there's a paper included, decide to grade it:
>
> start macro: "grade and reply"
>
> emacs opens as with a regular reply, but the message is included as
> text and without no forwarding string.
>
> I enter comments and a letter grade
>
> when finished, I exit the text editor and copies are sent to a special
> folder and to the student.

My first thought is to use an fcc-hook for saving copies to a
special folder.

> This should be easy to do with a macro, right?  and in fact the
> default reply behaviour already includes the text version of the .doc
> -- but with the quote character in front if it (in my case the
> default, >).  I've tried setting forward_quote = no, but that seems to
> have no effect.  Any suggestions?

Have your macro

    set indent_string=""

You'll need to set it back to "> " for normal replies somehow.

If you don't want to include the message from the student in your
reply, you can reply from the attachment menu instead of from the
index menu or from the pager.  You can also

    set attribution=""

to remove the attribution line from the reply as well, although it
may be more work to clear and reset that from mutt than it would be
to simply remove the line with your editor.

Just some thoughts.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division