colour coding with collapsed threads, in index mode

I like to use colours to identify mails in index mode. Here is the pertinant
snippet from my .muttrc:

set index_format="%4C%?M? +&  ?%-2M %Z %[!%e %b %g] %5l  %-30.30F %s"
color index green default '~p'          # to me
color index cyan default '~P'           # from me
color index magenta default '~O'        # older, unread
color index brightred default '~N'      # new, unread
color index yellow default '~F'         # flagged

When looking at a collapsed thread, the parent mail of which has already been
read - it will appear as white in the index (assume that default colour =
white). However, there may be other mails in the thread which are new and
unread (red). I can see, at a glance, that this is the case from looking at the
status flags. However, it would be nice if there was some way to incorporate
that in the colour scheme.

As you can see from above, I use the %M sequence in my index_format string to
summarise the contents of a collapsed thread. Is there any way to individually
change the colour of just the %M output to match the thread status (all read,
some new, etc), seperately from the rest of the line?

After looking at the docs, I would think not, but there's no harm in asking :)

Regards,
       Imran Sher Rafique