mbox-hook delete fails

Hello,

I have mbox hooks set up for archival purposes.

>From my .muttrc:

set move=ask-yes
mbox-hook =work ~/mail/archive/work

Problem: Mutt is failing to delete read messages after they are moved to
archive.

Scenario:  I go into the work folder, read my messages and then hit `c'
and select a mailbox.  Mutt asks me if I want to move read messages to the
archive.  I say `yes', Mutt moves the messages and then gives me the
results:  ``[count] kept, [count] moved, [count] deleted''  All of this is
as it should be.  However, when I return to the `work' mailbox, the read
messages have not been deleted, although they have been archived.
Sometimes the read messages are correctly deleted, most of the time not.
I can't seem to find a pattern.  But, when I change in and out of the work
mailbox again, Mutt will re-archive the read messages.  Note:  this was
never a problem before the move to IMAP.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

shawn