Re: send-hook not setting $from

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:50:48PM +0100, Michael Tatge wrote:
:
: * On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 Eugene Lee (list-mutt@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
: >
: >     send-hook . 'set from=me@xxxxxxxxxx'
: >     send-hook '~C abuse@xxxxxxx' 'set from=me+aol@xxxxxxxxxx'
:
:                                       use my_hdr
:
:       set from = me@xxxxxxxxxx
:         send-hook . 'unmy_hdr from'
:       send-hook '~C abuse@xxxxxxx' 'my_hdr From: me+aol@xxxxxxxxxx'

Michael (and Noir), thanks for your comments.  I know that my_hdr works.
But I don't understand why "set $from" does not work in a send-hook.
The docs mention nothing.

: > I don't have this problem if I manually change the From: header using
: > my_hdr.
:
: indeed. That is why you should use my_hdr in the first place.

The problem is, since setting $from is unreliable while "my_hdr From:"
always works, what's the point of keeping this configuration variable?
Get rid of what's broken and keep what works.

Else, if $from is useful, what does it do that "my_hdr From:" cannot do?

Just a bit confused since the docs (short of parsing the source code)
doesn't match behavior.  Maybe I should file a bug report?