mutt just stopped displaying thread characters

Hello,

I am using mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 9. I am aware of the utf8 issues with
this distro, but since mutt and others things worked OK for me out of
the box I never had to patch settings.

Starting yesterday, and with LANG=en_US, mutt stopped displaying the
"-" characters used to display threads. Before I had in the index:

some subject
 ----------> a reply to it

Now I have:

some subject
           > a reply to it

As far as I remember, I haven't touched anything general on the
system. The only mutt change was adding some folder and send hooks to
a config file sourced by ~/.muttrc: they are for the Linux Kernel and
Fedora developers mailing lists, so they don't even contain strange
characters (I believe: but even in that case how could they have
caused this problem?)

What should I do (or post here) to figure out what happened? Mutt
really sucks with threads displayed this way.

TIA,
        Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans
                                                 (John Lennon)