Configure / aclocal / nntp patch help

This is on Cygwin (but I suspect that doesn't matter).
I am trying to compile Mutt 1.5.4 with Vsevolod Volkov NNTP patch.

There are instructions:
WARNING: Run the following script before configure:
aclocal -I m4
autoheader
cd m4
make -f Makefile.am.in
cd ..
automake --foreign
autoconf

These all run successfully.

Then I run ./configure:
checking for working aclocal-1.4... missing

Yet:
$ which aclocal
/usr/bin/aclocal

And:
$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.7.6

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@xxxxxxxxxx>
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p5

Does anyone know how to tell configure that I do have aclocal.

I am pretty new to Unix/Linux, so I am learning.

TIA,
Dave