Re: OT: kosher cookies (was Re: about pgp-signed messages)

> Subject: OT: kosher cookies (was Re: about pgp-signed messages)

I saw that subject line and immediately starting ROFL. . .

> How hard is it to make a kosher cookie?  I got a gift of some cookies
> from a Jewish friend of mine a while ago, and I'd like to respond in
> kind by sending her a book and some cookies.  I would like to make
> sure, though, that I don't give her cookies that she won't want to
> eat.

That depends to a large extent what country you're in, and what the
recipient subscribes to.

Here's [1] a good intro with some useful links, put out by the Orthodox
Union.  It's generally accepted by all but the strictest Jews in the
United States.  In other words, if the recipient is "Orthodox," "Modern
Orthodox," "Conservadox," "Conservative," "Reform," "Unaffiliated,"
or even most "Ultra Orthodox" or "Hassidic," he'll (well, in your
case, she'll) almost certainly accept the "hashgacha" (Hebrew for
"supervision").

Most "Orthodox," "Modern Orthodox," "Conservadox," "Conservative,"
"Reform," and "Unaffiliated" Jews around the world will also accept the
vast majority of the agencies listed here [2].

If you're not sure about something in particular, email me images of
the packaging, and I'll tell you whether or not I can locate a kashrut
symbol that I'd go for.  (I'm "Modern Orthodox," so just about anybody
who doesn't wear a black hat will eat anything I will.)

 - Dave

[1]
http://www.ou.org/kosher/

[2]