Re: compile on Solaris 8 with gcc 3.2.2

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:38:39AM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> P.S.  I'd like to pare the binary down a little.  Very off topic, but can
>       anyone tell me how to find out what object files from external static
>       libraries mutt requires so that I can delete out the unnecessary ones
>       from libc.a and libslang.a, etc?  TIA

I thought that the linker only included the .o files that were used.
GNU libc, at least, breaks the library into relatively small pieces so
that by choosing only used object files, you pretty much get the
minimum chunk of the library that you need.  I'm not sure how Solaris
libc goes in that regard.  Check the size of your resulting binary.
If mutt < (libc + slang + ~500k) then I'd guess the linker isn't
including all of the libraries.  Of course, I could be wrong, because
of stripped symbols, etc. etc.. but it might be worth a look.

By the way, how come dynamic linking doesn't work?  Is it safe to
assume you attempted using shared libraries but the process failed?

Cheers,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx>