Re: Headers rewriting problem

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:20:02AM +1300, G. M. Bodnar wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:47:41AM NZDT, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> >
> > BTW - Maybe we should make a note somewhere that if you're not subscribed
> > to the list and want to ask a question anyway, that you shouldn't
> > tell people to mail the replies to you directly, but rather to CC you
> > the replies.  Else, people may forget to send their replies to the list
> > too, which would defeat the whole purpose of the list - and its primary
> > advantage over 1-on-1 help.
>
> There are headers to handle this.  (Watch me get details wrong, but I
> lack the time to look it up at the moment)  Mail-Followup-To: should be
> set to include both the list and the individual.  This makes the
> responding MUA send to everyone interested when using list-reply.  If I
> understand correctly, using "lists" in the muttrc will make this
> transparent to the original sender, too.

Oh, yes, there are (and you even got the details right), but they don't
help nothing if people don't use them.  ...and he obviously didn't, since
the MFT header on his post is nonexistant ... and most other Mutt newbies
who aren't even subscribed to this list don't tend to know anything about
the MFT header (nor how to set it), either ... which is hardly surprising
after all, given that they don't get their daily dose of tips and tricks
from the experts (and their daily dose of lunacy from me).

Actually, your note just gave me an idea for fixing the problem: put
"lists mutt-users@xxxxxxxx" into the sample .muttrcs shipped with Mutt,
and boycott any distros that remove it :-)

The other (much more complex) solution I can think of off-hand would be
for the list admin to quack at anybody who requests replies to be sent
directly to him.

 - Dave

BTW - Thanks for setting the MFT header for future replies to this
subthread, but something came out rather weird:
"=?iso-8859-1:us-ascii:utf-8?B?U8OpqWJhc3RpZW4=?= Hinderer"
<Sebastien.Hinderer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Maybe your send_charset is a little screwed up?

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel