German characters on mutt running under Mac OS X Terminal

Hello all,

I'm running mutt on Mac OS X, using the version I got from the
GNU-Darwin project, and, unlike the versions I'd previously run under
Linux, it won't display umlauted characters or the Eszet (looks like
beta) character).

It looks like Terminal handles the characters fine, so I'm guessing my
problem is with the build of mutt (and vim).

Trying to rebuild these programs from source on the Mac seems to be
problematic.

Has anyone figured out how to make all this work properly?

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx