Re: Make unread the same as new

Quoting Pablo Hoertner (pablo@xxxxxx):

> > One solution for your problem is switching to Maildir/ mailformat.
> it's a solution for what?

It's a solution for the "mutt not showing mbox folders with seen but
unread messages as newmail when using mbox folders"-problem. Nothing
more.

> i guess, it's not only about seeing new or rather unread mail after
> reopeing mut,

Correct.

> but also about having a solution
> for archiving your mail without having to open one single file with xxx
> MB everytime you want to read your mail.

Yes. It's quite easy removing old mail, and making backups of those
removed mails with Maildir/ implementations since all mails are stored
in separate files with a creation timestamp.

> therefore, maildir may be good, but at least i want to have this
> archive in mbox-format.

Why would you want mbox-format backups of Maildir/ mailboxes?
If you really want this, you could ofcourse do trics with procmail
during the backup-making-process.

> how do you use maildir for let's say the mail of the last week only and
> archive the rest?

I created a script that removes old mail from my Maildir/'s until there
are 900 messages left in a mailbox. The removed messages are not really
removed, but are archived in a bz2-file in a separate directory.

I have yet to find an easy way for reading / searching these archives,
but for now just grepping works... It's not that often that I need to
search in my archives.

> i assume deleting mail after a week shouldn't be a problem (i could
> imagine a macro that does this for me) , but what about the second
> point? is it okay just to copy you're mails with procmail to an mbox
> and/or filter it seperately?

You could move every old mail and pipe it through a procmail recipe that
puts the messages in mbox format. This will be quite intensive though.

> is the following enough for that purpose?

Your recipe copies every mail to an archive mbox and your Maildir/. If
that's what you want to achieve...

> again: how can you archive mail in different mbox-folders than?

I don't. And I don't want to. See my answer above.

> would this make most of us happy? or is this a rather "dirty" solution?

To be honest, I don't really understand your problem / question.

With regards,
Sander.