How to import S/MIME certificates from signed email

I've successfully built Mutt 1.5.4i on my Mac OS X.

I can send, receive, and verify S/MIME signed mail.

But I can't see how to import a colleague's PKCS7 certificate.

I have the following commands defined in my .muttrc (they came with
the source distribution), but how do I use them?
----- .muttrc extract -----
# These are used to extract a certificate from a message.
# First generate a PKCS#7 structure from the message.
set smime_pk7out_command="openssl smime -verify -in %f -noverify
-pk7out"

# Extract the included certificate(s) from a PKCS#7 structure.
set smime_get_cert_command="openssl pkcs7 -print_certs -in %f"

# Extract the signer's certificate only from a S/MIME signature
(sender verification)
set smime_get_signer_cert_command="openssl smime -verify -in %f
-noverify -signer %c -out /dev/null"
-----

Any suggestions on where to look or what to do are greatly
appreciated.

Bill Anderson