Re: pine compability

Pablo --

...and then Pablo Hoertner said...
%
% hi!

Hi!

%
% i'm using mutt with gnu nano as editor. now i'd like to know, how you

I'm sorry.  Don't worry; you'll come to vi eventually :-)

% can move all the messages of a month to a folder 'sent-mail-apr-2003' at
% the end of every month. is there a script or a macro for this?

If you're just talking about sent mail, the approaches that have been
posted should work fairly well.  I'd be willing to bet, though, that mutt
won't automatically turn them over every month (since the muttrc file is
only parsed at startup); you'll probably have to at least put the setting
in quotes to force the evaluation later and perhaps even make it a
send-hook so that it is updated with every mail sent.

If, on the other hand, you want to have all incoming mail sorted by
folder, that's really a job for procmail, maildrop, Mail::Audit, or any
other MDA.  From what I've heard of PINE (and PINE Is Not Elm, so I've
never gotten to know it) it gives you all sorts of features including an
SMTP engine all bundled into one program, but mutt adheres to The Unix
Way and concentrates only on doing very specific things well and lets
other programs do their other specific things well right along with it.

%
% i'd also like to know wether there are other such comfortable things
% that pine can do which mutt won't do by default and how to 'activate'
% in mutt or rather what settings i've to use for this. is there a manual
% or something on that?

Since I don't know from PINE, I don't know what those "comfortable things"
are (and am doing my best to keep this note out of the flames ;-)  There
are, however, a couple of "muttrc for PINE users" files out there which
remap keybindings to the way PINErs might expect to see them, which might
be a start.

One common question is how to make roles as in PINE; I do that with a
combination of folder- and send-hook commands, while some use send-hooks
only and some use F keys to run macros.  See the archives for this and,
no doubt, other PINE-ish things that mutt can do.

%
% best regards,
% pablo

HTH & HAND