Re: mutt slow with Maildirs???

On 2003-09-11 12:52:07, Ken Weingold wrote:

>I recently converted to maildir from mbox and found what you did.
>Large mailboxes took forever to open.  Out of frustration I switched
>back to mbox.

I am very satisfait wit maildir. I habe monthly mailboxes of 3000-
8000 Messages (e.g. Mailinglists from debian.org)

And never had problems to Open Lage maildirs...
While I had problems with Eudora under Windows I had read all Mailboxes
and copied all in one temp-maildir and the I have sorted out.

Mailbox with arround 18.000 Messages (HP Vectra XA5/200mmx, 64 MB memory,
IBM DHEA38451, ext3, bs=1k, 2048 kB/inode)

Now I habe around 3 million Messages on the Disk and a realy great
mailarchive and I never will switch back to mailbox !

Question: Are you reading Mails via Network (nfs, samba, netatalk,...) ?

;-))

>-Ken

Have a nice day
Michelle