Re: everything but mutt sucks (was "Re: alternative threading ...")

Alex --

...and then Alex Polite said...
%
% Some mailing list are well disciplined. People on this list rarely
% start a new thread by replying to an old mail. Other, usually less

Thank heavens :-)

% technical, lists are sloppy. The default behavior to start a new

Indeed :-(

% thread on these lists seems to be to reply to an old one, remove the
% body and change the subject line.

Yep.  Little do they know...

%
% Is there any alternative threading algorithm in mutt that deals better

Not really.

% with this than the default one? One that takes the subject lines into

Well, you could sort by Subject...  I wonder if you can sort_aux by
thread to try to keep them together.  Let us know.

% account. If not I'd like to put it on the request for features list.

The problem is that there's no way to tell what is a new thread and what
is just a change of subject.  For instance, that hypothetical mutt would
proably put this message -- whose Subject: I have deliberately changed --
on its own instead of in the thread.

Yes, it can be painful breaking threads manually (and even more painful
fixing them, as I am often wont to do), but at least it's straightforward.

%
% regards alex.
%
% --