[IP] more on Quake cuts off much of Asia Internet

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 28, 2006 11:01:59 AM EST
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Brett Glass <brett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] Quake cuts off much of Asia Internet

I saw what you're seeing - in spades.  We run a large enough network I
guess (~ 40 million users around the world) and yes, we're based in Hong
Kong, so we ran into some of those slowdowns you mentioned .. and we do
like to think we're antispam.

Sure, if you run a mailserver that's basically "friends and family on an
adsl line" - or even a tiny ISP in Podunk [oh wait, Laramie .. similarly
sized, that] you aren't going to see the big picture at all, much as I'd
like IP'ers to see it, and not randomly generalize and pontificate. [or
am I expecting too much?]

Fun generalization that 95% of the asiapac email traffic you see is spam
.. but then you probably don't know anybody there (e&oe traffic on lists
you're subscribed to) so no particular loss for you if you go firewall
off the asiapac [hint: that's not just taiwan, china and korea - it
includes Australia for example, also badly affected by the slowdown, and
which happens to be one of the most proactively antispam countries in
the world, with an excellent antispam law]

A lot of countries (governments, even .. hard as it may be for some
longtime IP'ers to believe) in the asiapac do take action against spam,
you know ..

And last I saw, the US was still top dog when it came to originating
spam, most of the spamhaus top 200 are in the USA (and several others
are all over the map Russia / eastern Europe / Israel etc) - while
China's actually gone and pulled itself out of a position that was
firmly on top of the spamhaus spam sources list (they're 3rd or 4th now
I believe)

This is not to play down the extent the problem there - it just serves
to put things in a certain amount of perspective that IP often tends to
lack, thanks to stuff like "95% of email from the asiapac is spam"

Get a real network, Brett .. you'll get some real stats that way. Or
google around some, read the news a bit.

        srs (http://www.apcauce.org)

David Farber wrote:

Dave: IPers might be interested in knowing that, as a result of this
slowdown, we have already seen a noticeable decrease in the amount of
spam we've received -- much of which originates in Taiwan, China, and
South Korea. (The flow of spam from South America, Poland, Germany,
Italy, and American "zombie" machines -- the latter mostly on cable
modems and Verizon DSL or FIOS -- has, alas, continued unabated. But
the impact is still significant.)

Because more than 95% of the traffic we receive from the Asia-Pacific
region is spam, it occurs to me that if these countries made an effort to
limit the amount of spam they generated, it might ameliorate or even
eliminate the slowdown while the fiber optic cables were repaired.

--Brett Glass, LARIAT.NET