[IP] more oA sorry story that highlights the flaws of aviation policy

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <dvhw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 22, 2006 1:48:48 PM EST
To: Andrew C Burnette <acb@xxxxxxx>
Cc: David Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] A sorry story that highlights the flaws of aviation policy

From: Andrew C Burnette <acb@xxxxxxx>
Date: December 22, 2006 12:38:05 PM EST

And what will the legacy be? Each of today's 40,000 new victims of the hiatus will tell their own sad story. They may vow to become more risk averse by avoiding Heathrow and British Airways for important journeys. And if that happens, another bunch of winners will emerge from the wreckage of broken dreams: the airports and airlines of Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.

I really can't understand the so-called problem, and indeed, the article ends with the solution. It's stupid that so many people should book long-haul flights that terminate at LHR, but it's their own problem. Paris is far more convenient and pleasant, and if you don't like that Schiphol and Frankfurt are just as good. Heathrow is merely nasty, and I have simply stopped using it unless I plan to end my trip in England.

No aviation "policy" is required; let the marketplace take care of it. Hell, flying into Heathrow is more expensive too!

-d