[IP] more on Windows Media Player 11 crippleware

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 19, 2006 5:48:21 PM EST
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: lauren@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IP] Windows Media Player 11 crippleware

Dave and Robert, et al.,

Windows Media Player 11 also has other serious problems that people
should think about before considering installation (one clue to its
complexity is its lengthy and rather arcane release notes "readme"
file).  WMP11 is (last time I checked) listed as an "optional update"
if you use the windows update site manually, but is also being
pushed by WMP10 ("new version available, do you want to update
now?").

In my own testing, WMP11 was unable to play various valid video
streams that WMP10 handles fine.  Also, I too was unable to cleanly
roll back to WMP10 using the standard system add/remove function
that advertised this ability (the resulting WMP10 player gave a nasty
internal error when run, and had no entries available in the system
add/remove list for complete removal).

However, I found that despite the lack of a way to remove the
corrupted WMP10, it was possible to do a fresh install of the
standalone WMP10 package that then worked fine.  This is a bit
difficult to find since MS has redirected most WMP10 links to point
at WMP11, but is still available from MS via:

http://tinyurl.com/9rz5l  (choose "Player 10 for Windows XP" from
                           the "Select Version" option)

Note: I do not know if this distribution includes any security fixes
or other changes that have rolled out for WMP10 since its initial
release.

As far as I know, WMP11 does not include any significant new codecs,
and there are plenty of ways to deal with portable audio/video
devices without using WMP11.  If you don't really need WMP11, you
may wish to skip it, at least for now.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@xxxxxxxxxx or lauren@xxxxxxxx
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: