[IP] more on Top crypto algorithms 'fully broken?'

Begin forwarded message:

From: odlyzko@xxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew Odlyzko)
Date: August 18, 2004 11:08:06 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Top crypto algorithms 'fully broken?'

Dave,

The article by Declan McCullagh that is referenced is accurate.  But
it definitely does not mean that "top crypto algorithms are fully broken."
Only a few hash algorithms are affected.  Furthermore, these attacks by
themselves are not all that much of a threat.  To simplify things, what
was discovered by the researchers who spoke at Crypto is that for those
algorithms (which do not include the most important one, the one that
is a U.S. national standard, SHA-1), there do exist pairs of messages
that have the same signature.  More precisely, there are messages

    x*m;ut0%Wb#crr)q"-Tvmaa^@39fl
    &bfpR([wez$1l8gI@S{=!snv&Wnf+

such that if you happened to send the first one to your bank, I could
instead substitute the second one, and the forgery would not be detected.
However, you would not likely want to send the first message, since it
is gibberish, and even if by accident you did happen to send it, I would
gain nothing from the forgery, since the second message is also gibberish,
and the bank would reject it.

Still, the attacks are significant theoretically, since until now it
was not even known how to accomplish this.  This might lead to attacks
at higher levels.  The next step would be to find attacks that would
enable a forger, when faced with a signed message from you of the form

Transfer $36.97 from my checking account 1234567 to MCI. Dave Farber.

to find another message that would have the same signature, and so would
initially be accepted by the bank as authentic.  But in most cases that
forged message would be something like

   &bfpR([wez$1l8gI@S{=!snv&Wnf+x*m;ut0%Wb#crr)q"-Tvmaa^@39flr$cDk,K.Oxx

and so again would not gain the forger anything, since it would be gibberish.

For a really practical attack, one would have to go up another level, and
find a message of the form

Pay $65,876.99 from my account 1234567 to John M. Smith. Dave Farber.

that would have the same signature as your original one.  At that stage
real harm could be done.  But we are still far from that.

Andrew