[IP] Net Publishing Made Profitable

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 13, 2004 9:47:13 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Net Publishing Made Profitable

Net Publishing Made Profitable

By Leander Kahney
Story location: <http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64563,00.html>

02:00 AM Aug. 13, 2004 PT

After 13 years of experimenting, veteran Net publisher Adam Engst has finally stumbled on a good business model -- fast-turnaround e-books.

Since 1990, Engst has been publishing TidBits, a weekly Mac-oriented newsletter that is the second-longest-running publication on the Internet (the oldest is Irish Emigrant, Engst said).

From the get-go, Engst has pioneered just about every revenue model on the Internet -- ads, subscriptions, sponsorships and the now-ubiquitous tip jar -- with mixed success.

"Over the years, we could have made more money working minimum-wage jobs," lamented Engst, who runs TidBits with his wife, Tonya, from their home in Ithaca, New York. "We do it for the love of it."

But now Engst thinks he's finally cracked it. Since last fall, Engst has published a series of rapidly produced e-books using a system he calls "extreme publishing."

The nine books in the Take Control series range in topic from customizing Mac OS X to setting up a wireless network.

The books are written by a small stable of independent authors, who receive 50 percent royalties, a rate unheard of in traditional publishing. Edited collaboratively over the Net, the books are published "within moments of going to press" as small, downloadable PDF files.

Costing $5 or $10, the books come with free updates for readers -- the electronic equivalent of second and third editions. The books are nicely laid out and designed to print well on home inkjets. They include lots of links to information on the Web.

Crucially, the books are timely. Print books, on the other hand, especially computer-oriented reference texts, are often out of date by the time they hit store shelves.

So far, Engst has sold about 20,000 copies in the Take Control series. The series' best seller, Upgrading to Panther by Joe Kissell, has sold about 6,300 copies, a respectable number for a niche publisher.

"It's done very well," Kissell said. "I've been very pleased.... It's been far and away the most successful book I've written." Before writing for Take Control, Kissell wrote three print books.

Though Engst's e-books are not likely to make him or his authors rich, Engst thinks they hold lessons for budding Net publishers.

"Publishing is broken," he said. "Sales are low, there's no money, and deadlines and delays are a headache. You have three months to sell a book and then it's obsolete. Last year, I realized all the pieces were there finally for publishing e-books."

Engst cited several factors. Most important, he said, is offering a tangible product like a PDF file, which -- though digital -- is more concrete than Web subscriptions. Many other electronic publishers, especially magazines, lean toward subscriptions.

Payment systems for small amounts of money are getting better. Engst uses eSellerate, an e-commerce system used by a lot of shareware authors.

The medium also requires having access to a stable of producers and consumers. Engst knows a lot of technical writers and can market to a built-in audience: 50,000 TidBits readers.

"We have 50,000 people to tell about the books," he said. "Without them, I probably wouldn't get the coverage for the books."

Some of the books have been voluntarily translated by TidBits readers into Japanese and German. For years, readers have taken it upon themselves to translate the weekly TidBits newsletter into several languages.

None of the books has any kind of copy protection, though Adobe's PDF format contains various digital-rights management mechanisms. "It's not worth doing it all, because it just causes problems," Engst said.

<snip>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>